Wednesday, January 23, 2019

It is Well

We have now been in the hospital for over seven weeks. Looking back it seems like a nightmare and I often ask myself “Did this really happen?”. Recently I have grieved my old life. My life of being home with my baby.. sitting on my couch having easy conversation with my Mom... watching Harrison reach for his Lollie... cooking supper for my little family.. Etc. In the moment, I never appreciated the little things. I didn’t appreciate the “simple life”. Today, my heart longs for the simple life. It longs for family dinners with everyone laughing and enjoying each other. It longs for not constantly worrying that Mom will take a turn for the worse. I wish I knew then, what I know now. I wish I would have savored every moment of the “simple life”. Hug your family, kiss your babies.. life is short and we never know when the floor is going to be ripped out from underneath us.

Recently, Mom’s days consist of therapy and rest. Therapy is extremely hard for her because she is so weak. She is still unable to lift her arms and legs. She is able to lift her right hand, point and squeeze your hand. She can’t move her left hand yet. This is the hand that experienced so much trauma from the blood clots. The open sores on that hand are healing and she has lots of new pink skin growing in their place. She has strong pulses on that hand so we are hoping that it’s just extreme weakness and with the appropriate amount of therapy she will regain use of that hand. Please pray for her left hand and all her muscles. Please pray that the Lord will be her strength and he will continue to completely heal her body.

Mom is still on dialysis. She’s been on something called CRRT which is basically continuous dialysis.  They have started giving her longer breaks from it because she has had some signs that her kidneys might be recovering. We know that this is not something that will happen over night. If her kidneys make a full recovery, it could be months even a year. We are thankful that she has had some sign of function though and rejoice over that news. We need you all  to continue to pray for her kidneys. We are standing in faith that they will recover and she will not need dialysis forever. Mom has so many other issues to overcome and it would be such a blessing if this wasn’t one of them.

Being in the ICU for so long, you see so many family’s come and go and so many that have been here as long or longer than you. My heart just breaks for these people some days. We’ve seen so many people grieving. We’ve seen children mourning the loss of their Mom and it’s just heart wrenching. Being around this kind of heart ache day after day really starts to take a toll on you. I find myself laying in bed at night praying for my Mom and praying for every family that I see walk through those ICU doors. The 10th floor is a sad place. I often find myself thinking, “I hate that another family is hurting the way I hurt. I hate that so many people here are going through this tragedy.” All I can do is pray. Pray that they know Jesus, pray that they will allow Him to hold them and pray that even in this dark valley they can find the smallest amount of faith to carry them through. When you think of my family and pray for us, please pray for these other families too. Lord knows they need it.

I tell Mom daily how many of you are asking and praying for her. I encourage her that she has an army of support behind her, celebrating her victories and anxiously awaiting the day she gets to come
home. She, along with our family are so blessed by each one of you. We are so thankful for every call, text, meal, donation and prayer that is sent our way. . Thank you so much. Through it all, it is well and we are blessed. We love you!



3 comments:

  1. Praying for Kim and ya'lls family! God is good and will continue to bless all of you! Even though I've never met her I feel like I know Kim! Meghann, her beautiful daughter is loved by our family and her indomitable spirit undoubtedly comes from her fierce Mama! Looking forward to meeting all of you and celebrating Kim's total healing! Love you all! 😘🤗🙏

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful gift of writing you have Addie. A collection of memories for your mom to treasure when she is well. I hope you all can feel the Lord hugging you. Praying for your miracle to be completed. He restored a blind man , a woman with an issue of blood, numerous lepers. He will continue to touch your mom’s kidneys to complete healing. Love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Addie,
    You have such a gift for writing. I thank you for your persistence in keeping all of us informed on not only your Moms condition but also how you and the rest of the family are doing.
    Every time I read your updates, I have this image of Jesus holding out His mighty hand and your sweet Momma right there in the center. It’s almost surreal it’s so vivid in my mind. The thought that goes with this image is that He’s taking the problems that she’s dealing with and slowing her body to rest in His completeness. Not sure if that makes sense but it’s what the Lord has put on my heart every time.
    I will continue to not only pray for your Mon but also for you and your sweet family. Continued prayers for God to keep all of you under His wings and give you perfect peace in the coming days, weeks and months to come.

    ReplyDelete

What If?

This morning after dropping Eleanor off at school, I had a really difficult moment. I questioned the Lord and honestly I asked Him why He ...